MassWildlife has announced the creation of a Youth Deer Hunt day in Massachusetts for hunters aged 12 to 17. This Hunt provides youth with an opportunity to hunt deer with their own deer tags during a special single-day season that precedes the Commonwealth’s annual archery, shotgun, and muzzleloader seasons. Permits are FREE, and will be available soon. See details below.
- Season Date: October 3, 2015 (4th Saturday following Labor Day)
- Legal Hunting Implements: Shotgun, muzzleloader, or bow and arrow.
- License/Permit Requirements:
- 12-years old –No hunting or sporting license required, Youth Deer Hunt Permit required. Youth must be accompanied by a duly licensed adult. (One adult per youth hunter.)
- 15-17 years old –MA hunting/sporting license and Youth Deer Hunt Permit required.
- Bag Limit: A Youth Deer Hunt Permit allows the take of one antlered deer in any Wildlife Management Zone OR one antlerless deer in Wildlife Management Zone(s) specified in the Permit. (In 2015, a deer of either sex can be taken statewide.)
- Blaze Orange: 500 square inches on chest, back, and head must be worn by youth hunters and accompanying adults.
- Harvest Reporting: Successful hunters may report harvests online through the MassFishHunt system or at a traditional checkstation.
Hunters are reminded that all shotgun deer season regulations apply on the Youth Deer Hunt day. Only one firearm/bow permitted between youth and mentor. Youth Deer Hunt Permits and tags are only valid for the Youth Deer Hunt day and cannot be used in later seasons.